1. Our core beliefs
• User privacy and data protection are human rights
• We have a duty of care to the people within our data
• Data gathering is a liability, it should only be collected and processed when absolutely necessary
• We will never sell, rent or otherwise distribute or make public your personal information
2. Relevant legislation
The EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR) (http://www.eugdpr.org/)
3. Controllers of personal information
For the purpose of the DPA the data controller is K & D Henderson, trading as Firewood Express UK, Newton of Boysack, Colliston, Arbroath DD11 4PT. On 25th May 2018, the Act will be superseded by the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The terms of this policy are applicable under the DPA and GDPR.
4. Collection and use of personal information about customers
The information we learn from customers is used in the following ways:
• helps us to personalise and continually improve your shopping experience at Firewood Express UK,
• allows us to handle orders, deliver products and services,
• allows us to process your payment,
• to communicate with you about orders, products, services and promotional offers,
• to allow us to update our records and generally maintain your accounts with us,
• to display content such as wish lists and customer reviews and recommend merchandise and services that might be of interest to you.
• to improve our store and platform,
• to help us prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our website
• to enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf.
• to notify you about changes to our service
• to comply with any legal obligation
• to respond to your queries
Provided you have consented at the point of us collecting your personal data, we may use your personal data to contact you by mail, telephone, fax, e-mail or other electronic messaging service with offers of products and services that may be of interest to you. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your information) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by contacting us at email@example.com. You will also be given the opportunity to opt out of receiving marketing information on each piece of marketing information we send to you.
Where the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. You should note that such withdrawal of consent shall not affect any processing of your personal data which took place prior to the date of withdrawal, where valid consent was in place at the time of processing.
5. Here are the types of information we gather
• Information you give us: we receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way such as when you contact us by any means. You can choose not to provide certain information but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features.
• If you open an account with us and place an order. We will retain your customer details for accounting and customer service purposes for 3 yrs. on the database, at which point your order records will only be retained in paper archive form until the 6-year VAT requirement is met when all documents are securely disposed of.
o If you open an account with us, but do not place an order, you have the option of deleting your account from within the account management interface.
o If you do not use your account for a period of 2 years, we will delete the account unless specifically requested to maintain it by the customer. We will notify you by email before processing this.
o If you order using the guest option, the order details will be retained as for an account order above, but there are no account records kept.
• Automatic information: we receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies" and we obtain certain types of information when your Web browser accesses Firewood Express UK. A number of companies offer utilities designed to help you visit websites anonymously. Although we will not be able to provide you with a personalised experience at Firewood Express UK if we cannot recognise you, we want you to be aware that these tools exist.
• E-mail communications: to help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from Firewood Express UK, if your computer supports such capabilities. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Customer Communication Preferences within your account, or unsubscribe if the communication is through a third party.
The types of information you give us may include: your name; address; telephone number(s); e-mail address; date of birth; and your payment card details.
6. Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case, we may disclose your information
• if K & D Henderson or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case, personal data held by it about you will be one of the transferred assets;
• to protect the rights, property, or safety of K & D Henderson or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
7. Where we store your information
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers.
Unfortunately, the transmission of data via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will take all reasonable endeavours to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, please be assured that we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access to, destruction of or damage to such personal data.
8. What about cookies?
• Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser to enable our systems to recognise your browser. To buy from us, they must be switched on to allow the movement through the checkout procedure.
• The Help menu on the menu bar of most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie and how to disable cookies altogether. However, cookies allow you to take full advantage of some of our most innovative and useful features and we recommend that you leave them turned on.
• If you do leave cookies turned on, be sure to sign off when you finish using a shared computer. Click here for more information on how to sign off.
9. Your rights
The Act gives you the right to access the personal information that we hold about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
We aim to keep your personal data up to date and welcome any updates to your details or corrections to any inaccuracies. You have a right to request copies of the data held about you, and if information held by us is incorrect, you have the right to ask for this to be corrected. Please help us keep our records updated by informing us of any changes to your email address and other contact details. To request a copy of the data held about you or to update information, please contact email@example.com.